Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Self-Portrait


Over at New World Creative Union, Natasha's posted this week's prompt for the Wednesday Wake Up, and it has to do with creativity and to shut those hater's up for good.  

Well, I started off attempting to paint up some vicious Dragon breaking free from an unsettled mass of earth, but then I realized I'm not that kind of artist, well, only because I haven't learned to be that kind of artist yet.  Fact being, my dragons look like anteaters, so that's a big reason I very rarely do anything that's not abstract.  However, I wondered, what could I do?

So I started out doodling in crayon, thanks Tash, and just started mindlessly drawing, (which is how all my pieces get going).  Then a thought captured me, and the result is now here, on display.  A Self-Portrait.  And while I'd love to say it's strictly my artistic self, I really don't want to lie.

Not sure if this piece silences the haters, or makes them want to say "told ya so," but if that's the case, let me rebut by saying, the first step in overcoming adversity is by identifying there is adversity to overcome.  Understand your struggles, contemplate them and ways around or through them.  Only by acknowledging as such, will you even have a shred of hope in overcoming them."

But then, the question arises, that I struggle with the most.  If you eliminate adversity, kind of impossible really, speaking generally, but if you are able to bring your mind to a better place, improve your lifestyle etc.. does what makes your creative side move also disappear?

That's the riddle right there.  A riddle I'm sure most would say, away cruel ills, and pray it doesn't clasp tightly upon your artistry as you vanquish it from your days.


11 comments:

  1. This is terrific, I love it! {And haters hate 'cause that's *all* they know how to do! Screw 'em!}

    All of us struggle with ourselves, mostly, as is the essence of Islam at its best (no endorsement there, just an observation). I really like your piece. Your humility in presentation belies it's creativity! Thank you for your effort and sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say Fred! I really, really like this. The message as well as the creative composition. Kudos, Fred! Keep on creating, experimenting, exploring...

    Roger ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff Fred. Myself...cannot even draw a stick figure well. Which would explain words being my creative outlet. I tend to think (hope) that my creativity will morph with my conditions. Meaning, if things are bad, darker work will emerge, times are good, some lighter verse (though I tend to 'dark' in my writing regardless).

    Thought provoking, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome response to the prompt and I for one prefer abstract/nonrepresentational art. Inspiring work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great colors and contrasts. I can't believe there are haters out there, but I think that should silence them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes...imagine...what in the world would I write about if I didn't have things that piss me off? I really wonder about this. The art that comes out of adversity is almost always brilliance. The simple act of someone thinking about making our world better is the best proof of a miracle. I am so impressed at the thought that went into this Fred...I'll ponder it long and no doubt write more than one poem as a result. Thank you so much for that...and honestly, I fear the rage but I feel it growing on a major scale...as writers, I believe we play a roll in starting and stopping that through conversation and ... I've written a book here this evening! My bad, but an awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think over time the greatest creative movements have come through adversity you know...

    i like your art man...your paintings are def my favs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. self portrait? Now I'm squinting and looking at it upside down and I still don't see any resemblance to Fozzy Bear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a very different concept to what I would expect from a "self-portrait" piece, which makes me like it that much more. I am fascinated by the chain links I see in the center. The story seems to lie there which, philosophically speaking, most of our stories do. Great work, Fred!

    ReplyDelete