Sunday, April 1, 2012

NFL Mock Draft Version II

A few weeks back I took my first stab at mocking the first round of the 2012 NFL draft.  Since the time I wrote Version 1, I noticed some additional changes, both from the prospects and for team personnel changes.  I've used this information to update my original and what I came up with is here.

1.  Indianapolis Colts-  Andrew Luck QB Stanford

I know there's been some talk going around that the Colts may be interested in RGIII, which I say Why wouldn't they be?  But Andrew Luck is the guy who's been the guy for three years now, and I really can't imagine a scenario where he doesn't go first overall.

2. Washington Redskins- Robert Griffin III QB Baylor

No changes here.  This is the guy Washington gave up a ransom to move up for and he'll be the pick.  If Indy happens to take him at number 1, I can't see Washington complaining that they got stuck with Luck.  These QB's are going 1-2 in one way or another.

3. Minnesota Vikings- Matt Kalil OT USC

I've heard Blackmon's name mentioned here.  I've heard Claiborne's name here as well.  But you just don't pass up an OT with this much potential unless you're in the QB business in a big way.  I'll be baffled if Kalil's not the Vikings selection

4.  Cleveland Browns- Trent Richardson RB Alabama

This is the spot where certainty gets thrown out the window.  As was the case when I did my first mock draft, Cleveland can go in so many directions.  Richardson, Blackmon and Tannehill are the names going around.  As it stands right now, the Browns have 2 picks in the first round and are going offense with both.  The way I see it is that they'd like to trade this pick.  Do I think they are considering the QB?  Yep, I do, but I just don't think they like the value at taking Tannehill at number 4.  I don't factor trades in my mocks.  Therefore, you're looking at RB and WR with your first 2 picks.  The drop off between Richardson and whoever you like as the next best back, I like Wilson btw, is a greater gap of talent than going from Blackmon to Wright or Hill, which I believe one will be there when they pick their 2nd first round selection.  Therefore Richardson's still my pick.

5.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Morris Claiborne CB LSU

Again, no changes yet.  I'm hearing Tampa Bay would love to trade back.  So if they do, it'll be for Blackmon or Claiborne.  Miami won't likely feel threatened that Tannehill may be taken now that Cleveland has picked, so I doubt they'd be game for trading up anymore.  While I think the bucs would've loved to see Richardson slip, they'll be more than happy to take Claiborne, who's a one of a kind CB prospect, a position of need for them.

6.  St. Louis Rams- Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State

Still, no changes.  St. Louis will take Blackmon in my opinion.  He's an amazing talent and in most years he'd never make it to six.  That said If Richardson or Claiborne slip I can see them trading this pick.  But, I have to believe Blackmon would've been their pick when they were at 2, and to have him still there for them at 6.  It's kind of a no-brainer for me.  That all said, as a Bill's fan I'd love for him to somehow slide to 10.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars- Quinton Coples DE North Carolina

I was feeling the Kendall Wright pick when I did my first mock.  I'm not feeling that at all anymore.  While I had thought they'd go offense here, Neither Tackle prospect is really impressive to me anymore.  Pass rush is a need and as maligned as Coples has been in the media, a guy that plays when he wants to, I think the Jags take him here.

8. Miami Dolphins- Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A & M

This is the pick.  If Tannehill is gone, they'll go BPA or try to trade down.  Should they take him here?  No, not in my opinion.  But they want him and the connection with Mike Sherman is obvious.  So I feel very confident in this pick.

9. Carolina Panthers- Melvin Ingram DE/LB South Carolina

HC Ron Rivera is going defense with this pick.  The Question is who and at what position.  I think they'd love for Coples to be here, for obvious reasons and for being a UNC kid as well.  Ingram or Poe, these are the two guys I like here, but I'll go with Ingram, as a guy who could be more of an immediate impact for the Panthers.  And it doesn't hurt that South Carolina is only an hour and a half from Charlotte either.

10.  Buffalo Bills- Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame

I think the Bills will go OT here and with both Reiff and Martin still on the board I probably should take one of those guys.  However, I'm a Bills fan and I don't think OT is as important in Chan Gailey's offense as it is in most offenses around the league.  Floyd will make an immediate impact opposite of Stevie Johnson and would look great in a Bills uniform.  I've also heard the Bills would like to move down and acquire additional picks, so we'll see.  If they do, I think it would be for Gilmore, the So. Carolina CB, DeCastro, the G from Stanford, for his versatility or they may really like an OL prospect like Cordy Glenn from Georgia.

11. Kansas City Chiefs- Riley Reiff OT Iowa

They need OL help and particularly at T.

12. Seattle Seahawks- David DeCastro G Stanford

I changed this pick.  First I thought they'd like to make a strength stronger, but since then they signed QB Matt Flynn to a big deal and DeCastro is a beast who can play at 4 spots on the line, something they need.

13. Arizona Cardinals- Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama

I went with the BC MLB in the first Mock.  I think they'll stay on the defensive side of the ball, but will feel Kirkpatrick is more of a value and snag him here.

14. Dallas Cowboys- Cordy Glenn OT Georgia

Martin may have had a horrific pro day, but the tape tells a completely different story.  The Cowboys would love to take Kirkpatrick here, but with him gone I think they'll address OL and the bad pro day from Martin, combine with Glenn's ascension on team's boards will make him a Cowboy here at 14

15. Philadelphia Eagles- Jonathan Martin OT Stanford

All along I was saying defense, MLB to be precise.  Yet the trade for DeMecco Ryans from the Texans shores that need up.  Sure, Kuechly will be talked about.  I've heard rumblings about Poe here as well.  I just don't think they expected Martin to fall to them and with the long-term injury to LT Jason Peters that just happened, they'll feel fortunate he did slide to them at 15.

16. New York Jets- Courtney Upshaw DE/OLB Alabama

Same pick as before.  I think Poe will be considered.  I think Kuechly will be considered as well.  But this pick still makes sense to me and still feels right.

17.  Cincinnati Bengals- Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina

Same position as last time, different player.  I think Jenkins issues will hurt him on draft day and may push him out of the first. Well, at least past this pick.

18. San Diego Chargers- Luke Kuechly LB Boston College

SD really wants OL help here, but with the run on OL here, I think they'll be out of luck.  That said Kuechly is in my opinion BPA at this point and the pick.

19. Chicago Bears- Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech

Bears would love to take Floyd, but with him gone I think they'll take this speedy receiver to play opposite Brandon Marshall and give Cutler another weapon.

20. Tennessee Titans- Peter Konz C Wisconsin

Same pick as last time.  It's a big need for them and where I think they'll go.

21. Cincinnati Bengals- Dontari Poe DT Memphis

Just a gut feeling here.  Probably BPA on some boards at this point and with the only Wright and Jeffrey left at WR and not much value at RB I think they'll take the big man here and go with BPA.

22. Cleveland Browns- Kendall Wright WR Baylor

Second part of their RB/WR philosophy.  Probably not the guy they wanted to be here, but he's much more talented than what they have right now and does have the potential to be good.

23. Detroit Lions- Mike Adams OT Ohio State

I know they need CB help in a big way.  They're being reportedly in discussions with Philadelphia for Samuel but even with that trade they'd probably still look to one here.  The only CB left is Jenkins and I just don't think they want to add a potential problem to a team that already is known as a problem prone squad.  Adams helps the lions out for their future as the age of their LT is up there and Adams will be a guy they can groom.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers- Doug Martin RB Boise State

I do think if one of the OL prospects already taken were here, whoever that guy is would've been the pick.  I think Martin is a talented back and  with some questions surrounding Mendenhall lurking around, this pick makes some sense.  WR could also be the play here with a guy like Alshon Jeffrey from South Carolina

25. Denver Broncos- Fletcher Cox DT Mississippi State

Same pick as last time.  Interior a need for Fox and this is about the spot I expect Cox to come off the board

26. Houston Texans- Alshon Jeffrey WR South Carolina

Same pick as last time.  Same reasoning as well, providing Schaub another weapon and Jeffrey may not be the fastest of the lot, he's got good enough speed and terrific size.  I do like Jeffrey a lot and think he'll be a fine addition to the Texans offense

27. New England Patriots- Whiney Mercillus DE/OLB Illinois

They need to replace Anderson and Mercillus is talented.

28. Green Bay Packers- Nick Perry DE/OLB USC

Same pick as last time, for the same reasons

29. Baltimore Ravens- Ronnell Lewis OLB Oklahoma

Same pick as last time, for the same reasons

30. San Francisco 49ers- Vinny Curry DE/OLB Marshall

Same pick, same reasons

31. New England Patriots- Andre Branch DE/OLB Clemson

Same pick, same reasons

32. New York Giants- Janoris Jenkins CB N. Alabama

The world champs can take a gamble with character here.  If they can straighten him up, they may get themselves a top 15 talent at the end of round 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment